Posted: 24 July, 2019

The Land of Fire and Ice – Iceland 2019

General, News, Senior School, Trips

Year 9-11 students left the sunny British weather at home as they ventured to Iceland at the beginning of July. The students took part in a wide range of activities from climbing glaciers, crossing continents, getting close to Sjelandfoss waterfall, visiting steamy hot springs to exploring Heimey and climbing a volcano crater.

The aim of the trip was for students to explore the extreme geological contrasts of the country and to learn all about renewable energy. Iceland is the only country in the world which obtains 100% of its electricity and heat from renewable sources.

87% of Iceland’s electricity comes from hydro-power, and the remaining 13% from geothermalpower. Oil-powered fossil fuel power stations are only used as backups to the renewable sources.

Press enter or esc to cancel