What can we expect from the new centre?
Cross curricular links are key to the learning journey at Putney High School. The building connects STEM subjects with the Arts. It will be a space where pupils and staff will want to come together to think, discuss, rehearse, perform and to be.
The Forum creates a space where students can relish the prospect of intellectual sparring. Student voice is paramount and debating is an important way of enabling girls to stand up for themselves in discussion and stand out in the future.
Music is central to school life, with students of all ages and abilities taking part in orchestras, choirs, vocal groups and ensembles. Bringing together the performing arts – next to the Performing Arts Centre – the ground floor of the centre will offer:
- Acoustically engineered teaching and practice spaces for class, small group and one-to-one teaching
- Purpose designed instrument storage for circa 190 instruments
The Drama department, on the first floor, will have a drama studio with professional ‘fringe theatre’ feel with:
- Raked seating and flexible performance area
- Specialist designed AV and lighting design
- Dedicated technical hub
- High performance, semi-sprung, activity floor
- A new dedicated LAMDA studio
Practical teaching is at the heart of memorable, exciting and effective Science teaching. Located on the first, second and third floors, the Science department has been designed around this ethos, offering:
- Nine state-of-the-art classrooms, all bright, naturally-lit and acoustically designed
- Flexible spaces to allow teaching to be tailored to specific age group and subject topic
- Cutting-edge equipment including mobile, 360 degree glass demonstration fume cupboards
- Dedicated Sixth Form laboratory
There will of course be further updates as the project develops.