Senior Curriculum

We want pupils to develop a love of learning for its own sake and to pursue their curiosities with passion; stretched, challenged and supported by our staff. Ours is a culture of inspiration, innovation, energy and creativity in teaching, and this character shapes the learning of our pupils.

Our staff are experts in their fields - from those who share their thinking in academic journals or at conferences to those published authors, performers, artists, composers, playwrights or sports coaches who continue to perform at the very highest level. At Putney High School, those who can...teach.

Key Stage 3: Years 7-9
The curriculum has been developed to provide stretch and stimulus to bright girls.

ICT and PSHE with Citizenship are delivered across the curriculum, during tutor time and through extra-curricular activities. There is an innovative weekly independent thinking lesson in Year 7.

Coding is introduced in Mathematics in Year 8. In Year 9 it is learned during small group creative computing lessons.

Key Stage 3 FAQs
Question Answer
Do you set for any subjects? Girls in Year 7 are not set for any subject so they have an equal opportunity to develop regardless of material covered before. In Years 8 and 9, girls are set for Mathematics.
How is science taught? Science is combined in Year 7. In Year 8, our Natural Sciences tripos enables students to make connections between concepts in Biology, Chemistry and Physics, as well as developing the underpinning practical techniques and problem solving skills necessary for success at iGCSE. In Year 9, all students begin the iGCSE curriculum in all three separate sciences.
What languages do girls learn? In Year 7 all girls study German and Spanish. In Year 8 they study Chinese (Mandarin) and French. Each of these is for two hours per language per week. In Year 9 girls select their preferred three languages from Chinese (Mandarin), French, German, Latin and Spanish. This allows all girls to study all four languages and Latin for a full year before making pre-GCSE choices.
What provision do you have for bilingual pupils? We have a programme for students who are speakers of French, German, Spanish or Mandarin. In Years 7, 8 and 9, bilingual pupils do not attend the normal lessons in the relevant language and instead receive tuition from a native speaker teacher. In Year 10 we arrange for tuition to continue so that a GCSE can be sat in the language one year early, at the end of Year 10.
What sports do girls take in PE? Girls in Years 7 – 9 have lessons in Netball, Lacrosse, Gymnastics, Trampolining, Dance, Swimming, Volleyball, Badminton, Tennis, Rounders, Kwik Cricket and Athletics. Rowing is taught in Year 9 as well as being a vibrant club activity from Year 7. In Year 7 and Year 8 there is a dedicated games afternoon.

Key Stage 4: Years 10 & 11 Examined Subjects
Girls in Years 10 and 11 study core subjects and are set for Mathematics. Girls have a free choice of four additional GCSE subjects which includes a choice of at least one Modern Foreign Language.

Core subjects:

English Language, English Literature and Mathematics – all studied to IGCSE. Biology, Chemistry and Physics – all girls study IGCSEs in three separate sciences for a triple award. All girls study for 10 (and occasionally 11) GCSE awards.

Pupils choose four GCSEs from:

GCSES  
Art Geography
Chinese (Mandarin) German
Classical Civilisation History
Computing Latin
Design Technology: Resistant Materials Music
Design Technology: Textiles Physical Education
Drama Religious Studies
French Spanish

Key Stage 4: Years 10 & 11 Non-examined Subjects

Non-examined core subjects:

Girls have the opportunity to develop their public speaking skills as well as to explore philosophy, economics and politics in a bespoke lesson. PSHE is taught for one hour per week as well as being addressed during tutor time.

Girls have two hours of PE per week in both Years 10 and 11. In Years 10 – 13, PE options include Golf, Squash, Yoga and Zumba as well as sessions in a local professional gym where activities include Spinning, Pilates and Cardio Circuits.

Tap here to discover more about Putney High School