Bursaries & Scholarships

An access enabler, the GDST aims to seek out the brightest, most deserving girls for bursaries and scholarships, so that the largest possible number of girls can benefit from an excellent education. At GDST Senior Schools, almost one in five pupils receives a bursary or scholarship to help towards her fees.  For more information please read the GDST Guidelines.

In the Senior School we offer Academic, Music and Sport scholarships at 11+ (Year 7 entry).

Our scholarship programme is designed to recognise potential and offer opportunity. Expectation is high and our staff work with scholars to nurture their progress.

All scholars are named on the Scholars Boards in the School Hall.

The award of a scholarship brings opportunities and scholars are expected to participate fully in the life of the school. 

For girls aged 16+, Academic, Art, Design, Drama, Music and Sport scholarships are available. Travel scholarships in Modern Foreign Languages and Sciences are also available for internal applicants.

Senior School Bursaries (Years 7 and Year 12 entry only)

Bursaries are means-tested and are designed to ensure that applicants who meet the school’s entry requirements are able to take up a place regardless of their family’s financial circumstances. Bursary awards will vary depending on individual circumstances and joint household income and assets are taken into account. The maximum award is 100%. The GDST document outlines the criteria the GDST use in their assessment for eligibility and can be seen here. 

If you wish to apply for a bursary, please tick the appropriate box on the application form. Once applied you will receive personal log-in details via email. You will then be required to send in certain documentation by post to the GDST Trust, within two weeks of receiving the log-in account details.

Please note the following deadlines for Trust receiving all Bursary documentation:

Year 7 - Application deadline 16 November 2017. Bursary deadline 30 November 2017

Year 12 - Application deadline 20 October 2017. Bursary deadline 3 November 2017

Applicants who qualify for a bursary are notified of the value of their award at the time of a place being offered. If the applicant is awarded a bursary, it is expected that this will remain throughout their time at Putney High School from when they join us to the completion of their A-level studies in Year 13, dependent on continuing good progress and conduct. The value of the award will be reviewed by the GDST annually around April.

The GDST handles all bursary procedures. 

Music Scholarships

A number of Music Scholarships are available at 11+ (Year 7 entry).

Candidates must also satisfy the Putney High School entry requirements. Any candidate accepting a scholarship will be expected to participate fully in the school’s orchestras, choirs and chamber ensembles and to complement her practical activities with the academic study of Music to at least GCSE level. We look to our Music Scholars to lead by example in every respect - artistry, technique, commitment and punctuality.

Music Scholars should be prepared to lead or direct a vocal or instrumental ensemble, perform solos and represent the school in Music Festivals and other events as appropriate.

Applicants who apply for scholarships at 11+ will be expected to have reached a standard of Associated Board Grade 5 on their first instrument and have some keyboard ability. We award a number of scholarships up to the value of 50%.

The deadline for 11+ Music scholarship applications is  Thursday 16 November 2017 at 4pm and should be submitted alongside the main application form (PDF, 36 KB).

11+ Music Scholars' Come and Play morning

This event is open to applicants who will be in Years 5 or 6 from September 2017 and may be interested in applying for a Music scholarship - or indeed, who may be interested in finding out more about the opportunities in the Senior School. Applicants have the chance to play music together and to work with our existing Music scholars. Parents are invited to enjoy some performances at the end of the morning, and are welcome to ask questions. The next event will be held on the morning of Saturday 11 November 2017.

11+ Music Scholarships (Year 7)

Applicants who apply for 11+ scholarships should have reached a standard of Associated Board Grade 5 on their first instrument and ideally have some keyboard ability. We award a number of scholarships up to the value of 50%.

A single round of auditions is held on Monday 11 December 2017. This means that some selection takes place at the application stage.

Application requirements

• A completed application form
  • A musical reference using our Music Scholarship Reference Form (below) 

Please note we are only able to consider applications that are accompanied by both the application form and the reference.

Audition requirements

• Candidates should prepare a programme of no more than 10 minutes in length. This may either be presented solely on the girl’s first instrument, or the time may be split to allow performances on two instruments
  • Sight-reading on the candidate's first instrument
  • Aural tests
  • All candidates are asked to sing a short song, either with or without accompaniment

There will be time for a short informal chat at the end of the audition.

Candidates may bring their own accompanist if they wish or use one provided by the school. Please make your choice clear on the application form.

Preparing For Your Music Scholarship Audition (11+)

The audition will include tests in Sight Reading (instrumental and vocal) and Aural Tests. These will be of approximately Grade 4/5 standard for 11+ .

When deciding which piece/s to play, please bear the following in mind:

Length – be aware of the maximum length your piece(s) should be. If playing more than one piece, consider the need for a balanced programme that shows you at your best.

Difficulty – choose pieces that you can play comfortably and musically. A performance of a more modest piece that is absolutely accurate and full of musical interest and detail will impress us far more than a difficult piece played less accurately.

Accompaniment – if your piece has a piano part, remember to bring it with you and let us know if you would like us to provide you with an accompanist. 

Be prepared to tell us something about your chosen pieces  any interesting features and perhaps a little general information about the composer.

Singing – we would like to hear you sing – a Christmas song that you may have learned with your school choir would be fine. Please bring the piano accompaniment if it has one.

Forms

Sport Scholarships

Sports Scholarships are available at 11+ (Year 7 entry). Candidates must also satisfy the Putney High School entry requirements. Any girl accepting a scholarship will be expected to participate fully in the sporting life of the school and represent it in their chosen sport throughout their time here. Our sports scholars are positive role models, worthy sports performers and possess leadership qualities. We also have an Elite Sportswomen Programme to nurture and support able athletes.  Please click here for details

A scholarship might be awarded in the following sports:

• All-rounder
  • Athletics
  • Cross-Country
  • Gymnastics
  • Lacrosse
  • Netball
  • Tennis

Key dates – 11+ (Year 7)

• Deadline for applications: Thursday 16 November 2017 at 4pm
  • Assessment: 10 January 2018 (in the afternoon following the 11+ examinations in the morning)
  •  

Candidates should represent a club, region, county or country or have a recognised ranking in her sport.

Applying for a Sports Scholarship

Alongside the application form (below), please submit a sports portfolio to include:

• Personal statement outlining why your daughter should be considered
  • Details of sporting achievements and training schedules
  • Reference from your daughter’s coach using our Sports Scholarship Reference Form (below)
  • A sports reference from her current Headteacher

Assessment Day

Short-listed applicants will be invited to:

• Participate in team building exercises
  • Demonstrate a good level of fitness and ability in a range of activities. These will include activities where basic skills will be assessed, such as racket skills, ball skills, as well as some simple gymnastics movements. These activities will be carried out in the Sports Hall or on the Netball Courts
  • Bring along copies of sports certificates and medals won for sporting endeavours to show during a friendly, informal interview with a member of the PE Department
  • Those applying for a gymnastics scholarship should be prepared to perform a routine of no longer than 1.5 minutes

Forms

Sixth Form Scholarships

At 16 plus, scholarships are available for:

• Academic 
  • Art 
  • Design Technology 
  • Drama 
  • Music 
  • Sport 

Academic, Art, Design, Drama, Music and Sport Scholarships are awarded on merit up to the value of 50% of fees. Scholarship results are posted home before the end of the Autumn term.

Scholarship application deadline is 20 October 2017 for September 2018 entry. 

General points about applications and assessment criteria

• We encourage applications from all students
  • Academic applicants will sit a scholarship examination at the end of the mock examination period. This tests general thinking skills rather than knowledge
  • Drama, Music and Sport applicants will be interviewed on the scholarship examination day and asked to present some of their work. Performance and commitment in the relevant discipline will also be considered. These applicants do not sit the scholarship examination
  • Art and Design applicants are interviewed and asked to present a portfolio of work. Performance and commitment in the relevant discipline will also be considered. Art and Design applicants do not sit the academic scholarship examination
  • In recent years, between 10 and 15 Academic Scholarships have been awarded
  • Where there are a number of outstanding candidates we have awarded several scholarships in each of the Art, Design, Drama, Music and Sport categories
  • Students can be awarded more than one scholarship (although this is rare) and are encouraged to apply for more than one

Downloads

Application Forms

Music Scholarships

Sport Scholarships

Sixth Form Scholarships

Tap here to discover more about Putney High School