Putney in the Community

Engaging with the wider community is a vital part of life here at Putney High School. Activities range from volunteering in schools and hospitals, to entertaining elderly residents, and from fundraising to collaborating with other young people through partnerships with local schools. Our students both contribute and develop a sense of empathy and responsibility from the full role that they play in society. 

Collaboration with Schools

Putney High School work in collaboration with state and independent schools in a variety of ways, from inviting pupils to attend events to working on projects to raise student aspirations.

Cool to be Clever

Year 4 pupils from local primary schools enjoyed a Maths Code-breaking Masterclass as part of Putney's Cool to be Clever programme. The Programme is a collaboration between Putney and Roehampton University and it is aimed at raising aspirations through the provision of Gifted and Talented Masterclasses for Year 4 pupils over three years until they leave primary school.

It's all about WiLpower

More than 150 girls from local state and independent schools came together for WiLpower, a symposium aimed at empowering young women to aim for leadership. MP Justine Greening and Helen Fraser, CEO of the GDST, were among the keynote speakers at the event, a joint collaboration between Putney High School and Saint John Bosco College.The conference was organised by a steering group of Year 10 students from both schools.

Music partnership with Brandlehow School

Following on from Putney's Year 6 music scholars performing at Brandlehow School last year, seven of the Brandlehow violinists from Year 3 and Year 5 came to perform to the Junior School.  The performers used the experience as good performance preparation for their graded exams which they are taking shortly.  The girls listened intently as the young musicians gave polished performances of their exam pieces.  This is just the beginning of what we hope to be lovely musical liaison between our two schools.

Charity Partnerships

Pupils and staff fundraise for charities throughout the school year either through house activities, national campaigns such as Jeans for Genes, for local initiatives such as the food bank in Wandsworth or as individuals. We support pupils and staff with their own fundraising efforts, whether they are selling products made by female enterprises in Ghana or supporting charities through taking on a challenge.

House charities for 2016/2017 are:

Volunteering

Pupils at Putney High School have the opportunity to get involved with the local community, through activities such as the Duke of Edinburgh Award Scheme and the Senior Citizens' Parties. 

Year 12 and 13 students volunteer at Ronald Ross Primary school, supporting young students with their reading. This is a hugely important relationship for us, with Sixth Form students valuing the chance to work with primary school students and building supportive relationships that last across the year.

Sixth Form students help to organise and support the Senior Citizen parties each year, which are certainly highlights of our calendar! Pupils are involved in helping to provide entertainment and organisation for the event, as well as helping to collect gifts. 

Cool to be Clever

Putney High School and the University of Roehampton have continued their Cool to be Clever programme this term after a successful DT session in February. Pupils from seven local primary schools were invited to partake in a special computing activity. Their task was to create a fully working prototype of an eSafety app designed for children starting secondary school with a special focus on user experience and interface.

Mr Richards, Head of Computer Science, noted, “It was fantastic to see year 6s being so enthusiastic, attentive and inspired when designing apps.”

Tap here to discover more about Putney High School