School Facilities

At Putney High School, we enjoy a range of excellent facilities, both on-site at Putney Hill and off-site, at our riverside boathouse and Wimbledon Rugby Club.

We're always improving and developing the facilities for our students, ensuring that they can learn in the best possible environment.

Read more about the details of our exciting future plans.

The Junior School

The Junior School is a self-contained area within the Putney High School site. The Early Years classrooms are linked to a dedicated outdoor learning environment. Other features include an Art and Design Room, Music Studio, spacious School Hall, Learning Enrichment room, a well-stocked Library and an ICT Suite. ICT is embedded into the teaching and learning and girls are given an iPad in Year 4.

Junior School girls enjoy the benefit of being on the same site as the Senior School by sharing facilities such as the state-of-the-art Performing Centre, Dining Hall and large Sports Hall.

The outdoor space has been landscaped to provide girls with exciting and stimulating play areas as well as three netball/tennis courts and a rounders pitch.

The Senior School

Facilities include a Performing Arts Centre with professional sound and lighting, green screen facilities and state-of-the-art backstage facilities. Other features of the senior school include our own boat house, a well-stocked Library, Language Lab, Music ICT composition room, eight well-equipped Science Laboratories, excellent Art Studios, a Design and Technology Centre, a superb Sports Hall and a Drama Studio.

We have extensive ICT facilities, each student receives an iPad when they start the school and there are more than 300 workstations for student use. In our Art Studios and in the Sixth Form Centre students are able to use iMacs which are fully integrated with our network. We use industry-standard Microsoft Office and Adobe packages so students understand some of the software they are most likely to encounter in the workplace, while musicians use the world’s best-selling music notation software, Sibelius. The school is equipped with a high-speed, site-wide WIFI network. Beyond the school gates, remote access to digital teaching resources and communications are available to students and teachers so they can continue their studies or preparation for class wherever they are.

Sixth Form Centre

Our £5 million Sixth Form Centre provides an undergraduate style environment which permeates into every aspect of Sixth Form life. Our Diner with a rooftop terrace, exclusively for Sixth Form, will routinely see students engaged in passionate discussion about their subjects, while the Lounge offers the chance to socialise with other students. The professionally-equipped fitness centre is available to Sixth Formers who are engaged with our elite sports training programme or want to have a change of pace from academic work.

Boat House

In January 2016 the GDST, with Putney High School, acquired the lease on a boathouse at one of the most prestigious locations on the Thames, close to Putney Bridge. With so many of our girls now enjoying rowing, the new boathouse is used in addition to our facilities at Barn Elms. 

Wimbledon Rugby Club

We enjoy use of the vast rugby pitches set at the edge of Wimbledon Common as the training location for our Lacrosse players, as well as weekly P.E. lessons. Just a ten minute drive from the school, Wimbledon Rugby Club offers the perfect solution to sports lessons in Putney. 

Library

Putney’s senior school library has undergone an exciting major refurbishment. The library is the heart of the school as the centre for independent learning, research, study and recreational reading as well as providing conference facilities within a contemporary setting.

A mezzanine floor houses a work area with multimedia with laptops, and a DVD viewing area. The ground floor contains the main school library stock including books, ebooks, magazines, newspapers and DVDs. The Library also contains a bank of iPads for class research and individual use.

There are designated study areas as well as informal seating for recreational reading.

The Library is open from 7.30am until 5pm Monday-Thursday and from 7.30am until 4pm on Friday. 

Performing Arts Centre

Watch our new Performing Arts Centre (PAC) take shape in the video below:

Tap here to discover more about Putney High School