Careers Support

Putney High School is committed to helping pupils realise their career aspirations. All students are encouraged to consider their possible careers and job paths at a formative age. 

Our Careers Area in our state-of-the-art Sixth Form Centre has a wealth of careers and university-related reference material. 

‘One to one’ services and support.

• The Careers Room may be used at any time by students to research information on courses or to consult general career reference books
  • Options advice for GCSE and A level choices. Subject staff are available at all times to discuss preferences and combinations. The Head of Careers is available for Options advice at GCSE and A Level
  • Educational advice on which Higher Educational Institution and course choice would be most suitable
  • Gap Year information and the most productive way of spending this time
  • Applications, references, CVs and mock interviews. Support is aimed mostly at post-16 within the university application process. Year 11 work experience is also supported
  • Specialist subject staff are always available to answer any individual questions

Careers Fair and Careers Focus Evenings

• The school’s main Careers Fair is held biennially, bringing together prospective employers and firms. This year for the first time as well as the range of different delegates there will also be a ‘Graduate Training Scheme’ department and a ‘Start-ups and Business Advice’ department to enable girls to gain advice in these areas too
  • Careers Focus Evenings are held regularly and highlight progression routes and opportunities for various sectors such as Medicine, Law, Media careers, Engineering and Performing Arts. Delegates who come to this event are mainly alumnae. Read the latest publication from the event

Alumnae

• Our alumnae offer careers education guidance and support at Putney in a variety of ways, such as Alumnae lunches, hosting girls on university visits, attending Career Focus Evenings and Careers Fairs. Alumnae lunches are open to Years 9 and upwards where recent Old Girls from a range of subjects and universities come back to give university advice. Putney is part of the GDST network of over 65,000 former students and staff. It’s the biggest network of its kind in the country.

ISCO

• Students’ membership of ISCO remains in effect until their 23rd birthday. ISCO has specialist support staff who can advise on any careers or HEI matter. Students have the right to a second interview with an ISCO adviser at no extra charge, up to their 23rd birthday. Furthermore, the excellent range of Futurewise events and ‘taster’ days is an effective ways for girls to explore careers in depth

Outside speakers

• Within the Putney Ideas Exchange (PIE) talks, Focus Evenings and PSHE sessions across all year groups, inspirational speakers share their experiences and career paths with the girls
  • Co-Curricular Support: Careers education takes many forms and at Putney is supported through the many Co-Curricular activities such as clubs in Art/Fashion /Drama/Young Engineers/Young Enterprise/Psychology and Medical Society
  • Twitter: The Careers Department run a Careers Twitter page @PutneyCareers which tweets up to date information related to a variety of different careers areas e.g. Human Rights Careers, Women in Technology, BBC Academy, The Law Society

Year 8

Students learn about the skills needed to engage in enterprise including seeing opportunity, managing risk, marketing, productivity, understanding the concept of quality, cash flow and profit. Year 8 are also given the opportunity to gain valuable work experience volunteering twice a year at our Senior Citizens Party. ‘Take Your Daughter to Work Day’ is encouraged when girls can accompany a parent, guardian or other close relative to their place of work during school holidays. Students create a workbook detailing the tasks carried out, people met and observations and reflections on what they have seen and done.

Year 9

GCSE options are determined and advice given on which GCSEs might be most beneficial for certain career paths. The GCSE options evening allows full discussion with girls and their parents. A representative from the Futurewise Careers scheme is also available. The use of the Fasttomato, an online careers program helps students to understand themselves, and to think about careers and potential subject choices for GCSE. Students explore the many different career opportunities open to them. Year 9 also have a workshop on ‘Skills for the Future’ to encourage them to explore and enhance the transferable skills they possess. Careers Focus Evenings and the biannual Careers Fair are open for Year 9 upwards.

Year 10

Girls have timetabled sessions for Careers focusing on the development of careers knowledge, the changing world of work and choices beyond 16 and 18. Girls are guided via the use of online questions and exercises (‘Steps’) provided by Prospects, a national resource. Presentations are given by each student outlining research they have conducted on a particular career area, showing their findings and detailing what they would like to do, why they would be good at it, what professional qualifications are required, likely earnings and so on. This strengthens their communication and presentation skills. Year 10 are also given the opportunity to write their own CV, a starting point they can continue to add to later on.

Year 11

Careers provision has two main focuses, the ‘Futurewise’ profiling and work experience.

Futurewise is managed by Inspiring Futures and is well established within independent schools. The profile is completed in a morning and the results are explained in a group feedback session and then discussed on a one-to-one basis with an Impartial Careers Adviser from Inspiring Futures. The profile offers and provides opportunity for discussion on possible jobs and careers. Online support and information is available here.

Sixth Form

Girls are given information on a range of topics from ‘taster’ days to law videoconferencing opportunities; use by employers of entries on social networking sites; sample questions used in Oxbridge interviews; private sector providers of support for aptitude tests; ISCO updates; and gap year information.

The Sixth Form have a PSHE programme in which students are given an opportunity to learn about Graduate Training Schemes, Assessment Days, Interview Skills and CV writing advice.

Year 12 have guidance sessions with the Head of Careers to consider choices of higher education courses and institutions, employability skills and the use of relevant resources to help inform their decisions. Girls who join the school in the Sixth Form can undergo Futurewise profiling.

Careers activity in the Sixth Form is primarily designed around the university application process via UCAS. A Higher Education Day is held in the summer term. Many Higher Education Institutions now have their own application procedures and entrance tests. Additionally, all potential doctors, dentists, vets, and lawyers undergo an aptitude test: (UKCAT/ BMAT /LNAT). We help girls prepare for these.

Support is also available to girls interested in US-based colleges and universities via the USA Universities Coordinator. Oxbridge candidates are given additional specific guidance from our World Class universities Oxbridge Coordinator.  This includes information on the TSA and the HAT aptitude tests as well as support and coaching for interviews.

Sixth Formers are given many leadership opportunities in which to exercise this ability. This can be from prefect duties, house officials, charity representatives, book clubs, Big Sisters and many other opportunities. 

Putney High School allows a breadth of opportunities for students to get involved in the wider community and to take part in volunteering. This not only is good work experience but allows them to gain transferable skills as well as supporting others around them. One example is The Senior Citizens Party; this is an event run twice a year and sixth formers are heavily involved in the smooth preparation and running of the event. This teaches them organisation, communication skills and generally another perspective. Another example is the Ronald Ross Reading Project. A number of year 12s receive training and twice weekly read with young pupils at a nearby local state primary school. A student in year 13 is given the leadership position to pass on their knowledge to the year 12s each year.

Tap here to discover more about Putney High School