A Level Product Design: Textiles

Why should I study Product Design: Textiles?

The world of fashion is a trillion pound industry that employs over 800,000 people in the UK. Textiles is linked to the world of design, manufacturing, business and marketing. You will combine creative and technological principles to create marketable and innovative garments. The course includes the study of consumer trends, textile products and materials, construction processes and surface decoration techniques as well as wider issues in the industry.

Whilst the course will naturally appeal to those wishing to pursue a career in the creative industries, many of the skills required are transferable and compliment a wide range of subjects.

What will I need to study Product Design: Textiles?

Students are generally expected to achieve a minimum GCSE: Design Technology – Textiles Grade A or GCSE Art Grade A. As a Textiles student you should have an interest in the development of a product from the materials used to its form and function. You should be able to generate and communicate ideas in a range of media. Textiles appeals to students who are prepared to apply their creative and problem solving skills independently. The diversity of Textiles means that it successfully complements a wide range of subjects, yet it can also be a contrasting subject to other A Levels.

Structure and Outline of the Course:

The new A Level OCR course is closely linked to the ’Designing Our Tomorrow’ research project conducted by the University of Cambridge. Over the two years you will participate in lessons involving  practical activities, theory tasks and design tutorials to prepare for:

The Iterative Design Project: The ‘Iterative Design Project’ requires learners to undertake a substantial design, make and evaluate project centred on the iterative processes of explore, create and evaluate.

Students compose a Fashion Design Brief from a context of their own choice, and create a portfolio of evidence and high quality product to demonstrate their competence.

The Principles examination paper: This includes the analysis of existing products, technical knowledge and understanding of materials. You will also consider globalisation, core design principles, environmental concerns and inclusive design.

The ‘Unseen Challenge’: Focuses on the application your knowledge, understanding and skills of designing and manufacturing prototypes and products through a set design task under timed conditions.

Method of Assessment:

Written paper: Principles of Fashion and Textiles (25% of A Level)

Design/written paper: ‘Unseen Challenge’ (25% of A Level)

Iterative Design Project: (50% of A Level)

Student Comments:

“I have always enjoyed textiles especially the making! The A Level course has given me the chance to work on a project that I am really interested in. The history of design, consumer and environment issues have helped me with my other A Level subjects. ”

Tap here to discover more about Putney High School