A Level Mathematics

More than half of our Year 12 pupils are studying Mathematics at A or AS Level"

Why should I study Mathematics?

As an A Level subject, Mathematics combines very well with many areas of the curriculum and is often taken in conjunction with subjects from the Arts and Humanities, as well as the Sciences. Further Mathematics, as an additional A Level, is available for students who wish to take their study of the subject at school to a greater and more rigorous depth and is strongly recommended for particularly talented girls who are likely to want to study Engineering or Mathematics (alone or in combination with other subjects) at University. Universities often look favourably on Physics students who have studied double maths (see separate entry for Further Mathematics).

What will I need to study Mathematics?

An A or A* grade at GCSE is required.

Structure and Outline of the course:

The course structure is designed to develop understanding of mathematics and mathematical processes in a way that promotes confidence and fosters enjoyment. You will develop abilities to reason logically, generalise and extend your range of skills to be used in more difficult, less structured problems. 

The specification is split into modules, in the following categories:

Pure Mathematics, Mechanics and Statistics:

Pure Mathematics develops and expands on the work in algebra, geometry, graphs, coordinates and trigonometry, first encountered in the GCSE course. Calculus is introduced. There is less numerical work; a genuine feel for algebra and a real familiarity with all its techniques are vital for success.

• Mechanics is concerned with modelling physical situations and using the techniques of pure mathematics to solve problems involving such concepts as force, velocity, power and centres of gravity, the underlying theme being Newton’s Laws of Motion.

Statistics is designed to encourage a mathematically analytical approach to practical situations and to develop mathematical models to assess probability and test hypotheses. 

Method of Assessment:

All exams are 1½ hours long and contain a mixture of length of question. Each exam is specific to a given topic. There will be four examinations on Pure Mathematics, one on Statistics and one on Mechanics.

Student Comments:

“Maths was an automatic choice for A Level because I enjoy a challenge and the reward when you master a problem.  The teachers in this department are confident and thorough and have helped me nurture any talent I have.”

“Maths is very challenging but satisfying if you get to the end of two pages of working and find that you have got it right.”

“What I like about Maths is that it is a challenge which isn’t impossible, and it forces me to think and sharpens my brain.”

Tap here to discover more about Putney High School