A Level Further Mathematics

Did you know?
100%
achieved A* or A in Further Mathematics at A Level in 2016.

Why should I study Further Mathematics?

This subject is available to pupils who have demonstrated a particular talent in Mathematics.  Students taking Further Mathematics overwhelmingly find it to be an enjoyable, rewarding, stimulating and empowering experience. For someone who enjoys mathematics it provides a challenge and a chance to explore new and more sophisticated concepts. It will also enable you to distinguish yourself as an able mathematician in the university and employment market.  Further Mathematics qualifications are prestigious and strongly welcomed by universities. Students who do Further Mathematics are demonstrating a strong commitment to their studies, as well as learning mathematics that is very useful for any maths-related degree (this covers a very wide range of academic areas - Engineering, Sciences, Computing, Finance/Economics etc., as well as Mathematics itself).  Studying Further Mathematics will also boost your performance in the standard A Level Mathematics and you should find the first year mathematics element of any maths-related degree course far more straightforward.

What will I need to study Further Mathematics?

An A* grade at GCSE is required.  Pupils who take Further Mathematics will generally be in Set 1 in Year 11 and have studied a second qualification.

Structure and Outline of the course:

Pupils who choose Further Mathematics study for a qualification that is both deeper and broader than A Level Mathematics. It also allows for exploring applications to a higher level.

• Further Pure Mathematics develops and expands on the algebra and calculus covered in A Level and introduces new material on topics such as complex numbers, matrix algebra, differential equations, series, vectors, hyperbolic functions and proof. 

• Mechanics is concerned with modelling physical situations.  Topics covered include kinematics of a particle in a plane, centre of mass, work and energy and collisions.

Statistics includes the Binomial, Poisson and continuous distributions, random variables, hypothesis tests, confidence intervals, regression and correlation.

• Decision looks at networks, algorithms and sorting problems.

Method of Assessment:

All exams contain a mixture of length of question. There are four papers of 1hr30 each.
    • Pure Mathematics 1
    • Pure Mathematics 2
    • Option 1
    • Option 2

Possible options include Further Pure Maths, Mechanics, Statistics and Decision Maths.

Student Comments:

“Maths was an automatic choice for A Level because I enjoy a challenge and the reward when you master a problem.  The teachers in this department are confident and thorough and have helped me nurture any talent I have.”

“What I like about Maths is that it is a challenge which isn’t impossible, and it forces me to think and sharpens my brain.”

Tap here to discover more about Putney High School