A Level Drama and Theatre

Did you know?
89%
of our Theatre Studies A Level entrants achieved A*- B grades in 2016.

Why should I study Drama and Theatre Studies?

Because you love theatre in its infinite variety! Students normally become actively engaged in most of the following activities to varying degrees: acting, devising and writing plays, frequent visits to the theatre, stage, set and costume design, lighting and sound. Drama and Theatre is now recognised by all the major universities as a richly varied and valuable subject, especially with its emphasis on collaborative, presentational and confidence boosting skills, which are becoming increasingly essential in today’s workplace. It is probably the only subject where you have to work in groups, take risks, be creative and produce meaningful, vibrant, and dynamic work.

What will I need to study Drama and Theatre?

GCSE Drama is obviously useful but not essential. What is invaluable is some knowledge and experience of acting in plays, and/or drama clubs/classes, which could be both in and out of school.

Structure and Outline of the course:

Component 1: Devising an original piece of performance – based on a text and a practitioner

Component 2: Text in Performance – Performing a monologue/duologue and a group piece

Component 3: Theatre Makers in Practice – Live theatre evaluation, the practical study of a complete text and how it could be realised in performance (Page to Stage) and a practical exploration of a different set text in light of a practitioner and how it can be reimagined for a contemporary audience (Interpreting a Performance Text).

Method of Assessment:

Component 1 (40% of qualification) -  A written portfolio of the development of the practical devised performance (2500 – 3000 words) and the performance of the piece – all internally marked and externally moderated – the written element is 60 marks and the practical performance 20 marks.

Component 2 (20% of qualification) -  Externally assessed by a visiting examiner – Monologue or duologue is worth 24 marks and group piece work 36.

Component 3 (40% of qualification) - Evaluation of Live Theatre is 20 marks, with the girls being allowed to have 500 words of notes with them. Page to Stage is 36 marks, where students will be given a section of the text they have studied and write about how they will create a performance of the scene. Interpreting a Performance text is 24 marks and will ask the students to answer a question in terms of re-imagining a concept that they have for a play to make it meaningful to a contemporary audience.

Student Comments:

“Theatre Studies stretches you mentally as well as physically. It helps you to build your confidence and develop an imaginative and creative way of thinking.”

“Working together in a group equally and productively to perform a satisfyingly finished production is very rewarding and a refreshing change from other subjects.”

“Drama challenges you in a different way to anything else and the skills you gain - increased confidence, creative interaction with your peers – can’t be gained in any other subject.”

Tap here to discover more about Putney High School