A Level Art

Did you know?
100%
of Year 13 Art students in 2016 achieved their first choice university offer.

Why should I study Art?

The A Level course in Art is both challenging and exciting. There is a particular emphasis placed on personal research and commitment with an acknowledgement of the importance of drawing and mixed media experimentation as a basis for most activities. The course is also appropriate for those wishing to make a career in the Arts, whether fine or applied, as it provides the opportunity to build a portfolio of wide-ranging work. This is especially important for those wishing to study Art at Foundation level or at University. The course also ensures a greater understanding of contemporary visual culture which enables students to pursue careers in other disciplines such as journalism, architecture, film, and advertising. 

What will I need to study Art?
    • A genuine interest in the subject and work to a high standard
    • An aptitude for creativity, industrious and willing to develop ideas imaginatively
    • Excited to find new ways of making work and a willingness to respond to suggestions
    • A keenness to visit galleries and places of cultural interest in their own time

Structure and Outline of the course:

In the first year we offer a broad starting point to ensure students are given direction and then the freedom to explore their own investigation as confidence and skills develop.  All work produced this year contributes to the coursework portfolio.

In the second year students develop their coursework portfolio and create a more formal personal investigation.  To accompany their practical work they are required to write a dissertation which examines their research and the processes of their practice. Coursework is submitted before entering the examination unit.

Students are introduced to a variety of experiences exploring a range of fine art media, techniques and processes. We cover drawing, painting, printmaking, life drawing, sculpture, photography, Photoshop, and mixed-media, reinforced by the critical/contextual study of artists. Students should demonstrate an eagerness to experiment and embrace risk-taking.

Method of Assessment:

Portfolio, sketchbooks, and final pieces for coursework, as well as an externally set task

Student Comments:

“Everyone was nervous about the first life-class. However after a while we began to enjoy using different materials to make exciting and detailed studies.”

“I have always enjoyed Art but the A Level course showed me how wide-ranging and diverse it could be.”

“We all really enjoyed the fact that you could choose what you wanted to explore yourself and were amazed how varied our outcomes were.”

“It’s rewarding at the end of the course presenting our work in the final exhibition for everyone to see.”

Tap here to discover more about Putney High School