History of Art

"One never finishes learning about art. There are always new things to discover. Great works of art seem to look different every time one stands before them. They seem to be as inexhaustible and unpredictable as real human beings."

- E. H. Gombrich, The Story of Art

We aim to do more than teach students the new and exciting discipline of Art History by providing a stimulating environment in which our pupils can develop their intellectual and aesthetic capacities. We encourage them to learn how to see cultures past and present from a range of perspectives.

A Level: 

Written examination units cover works of Painting, Sculpture, and Architecture from 500BC to 2000AD.  There is the opportunity to focus on Art and Architecture in Europe and the USA 1946–2000 and Art and Architecture in Sixteenth-century Europe within this broad course.

Students develop their analytical skills, constructing written arguments and enhancing their visual awareness. In class they develop their communication skills, discussing ideas around works of Art and architecture. This is further developed in the participation of the national Articulation Prize.

Extension Activities:

Students have the opportunity to visit galleries, enter their work in design and photography competitions, and to attend talks and workshops from external speakers. The department run a series of talks called 'D.I.C.E' (Discuss Inspire Create Engage) where artists, curators, gallery owners, and critics are coming in to speak to pupils/ run workshops.

Tap here to discover more about Putney High School