Curriculum Plus

Debating helped with my interview as it gave me the confidence to think and speak on the spot about complex subjects."
Jazz Adamson, reading English at Oxford

The Curriculum Plus initiative is a bespoke programme of study for all sixth formers. It aims to build the intellectual confidence and agility that will help students to realise their ambitions, in securing places at world class universities and later, careers at the very top of their chosen field.

The programme is built around two timetabled sessions each week:

• In the first session, students take part in activities from Model United Nations to Young Enterprise to volunteering. All activities are led by the students themselves, and are designed to inspire greater confidence and engagement in the wider world
  • The second session intersperses an academically challenging lecture series with a taught critical thinking programme. The opportunity to debate, engage and read more widely broadens and deepens knowledge, developing key skills for the future. Students have the opportunity to talk with peers and a teacher about a range of cross-curricular topics including; the value of poetry, the use of maths in everyday life, or ethical considerations surrounding artificial intelligence

The Curriculum Plus programme also incorporates many opportunities for students to get involved in activities that build independent learning and creativeness of argument. Such groups include:

• Model United Nations
  • Young Enterprise 
  • Debating
  • Subject based Hot Topic Talk Shops
Tap here to discover more about Putney High School